Thursday, May 21, 2009

Opeth and Gojira concerts well worth it

Thankfully the intestinal virus didn't keep me from going to see Opeth and Gojira!
I saw Opeth for the second time and they didn't disappoint. They are great to see live over and over again because they hardly play a song twice thanks to their huge number of songs. This time they played an awesome mix of songs from Ghost Reveries, Watershed, Orchid and other older albums. The singer had his usual sense of humour and made fun of a cheesy 80's metal band that declared themselves the kings of metal in one of their songs (!) and then declared Opeth the kings of metal and I almost very damn well agree! Innovative metal is like a reflex to them. As usual they sounded great and he also thought so in terms of sound quality and mixing which he added is something they usually don't think while on tour.
Unfortunately he also declared that they are going to take a break from touring and writing for a little while for some well-deserved rest.

I was so excited to see Gojira because I didn't think they would come here from France but apparently it was something like their fifth time playing here! They played lots of songs from their latest 2 albums so I was very happy. Their sound was good and the singer effortlessly sounded the same as on their recordings which I found impressive since he does an odd combination of a metal growl and a punk scream where you can still hear the pitch. They had everyone united in synchronized headbanging, clearly showing we all had a good time.

So, now I don't have anymore concerts to look forward to but I'm sure more metal bands will come along during the summer because Montreal is metal awesomeness.

No comments:

Post a Comment