Wednesday, March 6, 2013

In and out of the psych ward again

This must be the sixth or seventh time now. Spent 2.5 weeks in the hospital and just got discharged yesterday. I can't believe I ended up in there again even though I've been clean from drugs almost 9 months now. I guess my BPD is pretty bad on its own. It got triggered again by my mom's bday which was in late February. I tried my absolute best to handle it well. I stayed busy, hung out with friends, sang a bunch of songs, did homework but I still steadily got more and more emotionally unstable. I even had my pastor visit me on the day of her bday but it didn't help enough. The urges to hurt myself got stronger and stronger until I just couldn't take it anymore. I chugged some wine and tossed a bunch of my meds in my mouth but my bf and brother were there and my bf tried to get me to spit it all out. I was so conflicted between the urge to hurt myself and trying to fight it off that I stalled for a long time. By the time I did spit out what was in my mouth, half the pills already dissolved into my mouth. Then I tried grabbing a knife but they stopped me, called Poison Control and took me to the hospital where I physically recovered but then I started banging my head and punching myself so my arms were tied down. I saw the ER psychiatrist and I was ready to argue with him how serious BPD can be but he completely disarmed me by immediately agreeing I should go upstairs to the psychiatric ward. He was really nice. So in 2 days I got transferred there and the first couple of days were really hard. I still had bad urges to hurt myself. I ended up in the isolation room twice and got completely strapped down, arms, legs and waist once. But after a few days the urges got smaller and smaller and I stopped hurting myself. But I was still emotionally fragile for a while. My bf's mom wrote me a letter out of loving concern and that set me off again since it mentioned my mom but by the next day I was ok. I got a very nice psychiatrist to work with and she gave me the time to recover and get stronger again. I think my psychologist did a good job teaching the staff about BPD.
I saw a lot of familiar faces staying there with me, a lot of us mental patients seem to cycle in and out of that place. There were only a handful I didn't know already from previous stays. I feel a lot better now, time to get back to reality and try to salvage my semester. Already did some math homework today.

No comments:

Post a Comment