Friday, October 10, 2014

World Mental Health Day

Wow it's so great to see so much awareness on mental health issues on facebook trending. Our brains are definitely the final frontier of our bodies in terms of scientific understanding so maybe that's why mental health is lagging behind when it comes to health issues in general. Apparently the theme this year is schizophrenia. Seems very apt since my ex and current SO both have schizophrenia and my ex will not stop calling me. I want nothing to do with him though. I know what he's like. And it is not what most people with schizophrenia are like. I'm sure he also has conduct or anti-social personality disorder. He just doesn't give a fuck about anyone else. It's all about what he wants. And I'm not distorting the truth here as an ex. Plus his delusions always include strong impulses to be physically violent. He tried to kill his mom and ended up in a special jail for those with mental health problems. He would stare at my kitchen knives and put his hands around my neck once. Plus he is a serious drug addict. His favourite drugs are marijuana and crack. The voice message he left me recently was almost impossible to decipher, he was talking so fast.
In complete contrast, my SO is super sweet and would never hurt anyone. Even if he becomes ill again and has delusions he would never purposely hurt anyone. When he was unwell, he was mostly concerned with conspiracies and possible poisonous spiders. It was hard to convince him to take meds but they work. Unfortunately there are side-effects and he feels sometimes that he is not quite himself because of them. But I just remind him that if he stops taking them the psychosis will come back. He will be lost in his own world and I will not be able to reach him there. We would be separated. Meds are definitely not ideal but the main benefit is that they can help one remain part of society, able to be with friends and family and live and laugh together. It's a trade-off but relationships are what give meaning to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment