Monday, June 29, 2015

Who does Jesus love?

Would you shake someone's hand if you knew they were HIV positive? Would you want to get to know someone even if you knew they were transgendered or don't identify with one particular gender? Do you find it easy to make fun of 'trannies'? It's normal to feel confused or initially wary of something or someone novel but it's never ok to trample on another human being's rights. Adults should know better than to reject others just because they don't understand someone. I believe in Jesus and I know if He was on earth today in human form He would love to hang out with the homeless, the mentally ill, the drug addicts, the LGBT community, the disabled, the elderly, the poor, the prostitutes and anyone who has been stigmatized or forgotten by society. In fact I think as a Christian we should be praying for these individuals and the people who persecute them. As a member of some of these groups I know how unfair it is to be labelled and then seen as something less than human. The last shall be first and the first shall be last.

This was written after I heard a friend's story of being persecuted for sharing that he is gay and HIV positive and how it is a struggle. Personally, I'm not sure if it is a sin to be gay or change your gender or in other words, if doing those things block you from God. But I do know that even if they are sins, all sins are equal in God's eyes (though some have more bad consequences than others) and we are all sinners. None of us are in a position to judge another sinner. For example, when I was still using drugs 24/7 but still attended a small group from church, they truly showed me God's love by still accepting me and letting me be a part of the group. They of course did not tolerate me using drugs in their presence but they still let me be me and be equal even though I always came high. I will be forever grateful especially for the small group leader who is a mother and still let me in her house. I was in the depths of despair and they shone a light in my darkness. They showed me that I was/am more than just a mentally ill drug addict.

No comments:

Post a Comment