Wednesday, October 26, 2011

volunteering now

I've finally started volunteering at my friend's work once a week. It's at an activities centre for adults with physical disabilities, mostly cerebral palsy. It's often tricky to communicate since they can't move their mouths well but they are intellectually the same as anyone else. It must be so difficult to be trapped in a body that won't listen to you. So I do what I can to make their day more enjoyable and it feels good to be somewhat useful and helpful. I honestly feel that I benefit more than them by being there. It gives me something to be proud of, instead of always being the mentally ill drug addict. It brings me closer to my true identity of being a child of God who is loved by Jesus and wants to share that love with others. It's one baby step closer to my future as someone who follows Jesus' selfless ways. I just pray that I stick to it. It's been 3 weeks and so far so good. I just chat with the clients, sometimes help them with art activities or just watch what's going on. I can handle that.

No comments:

Post a Comment