Sunday, August 16, 2009

day 3 in korea

What a trip it was to get here! Our plane was delayed so in total it took 26 hours of flying and waiting.
To be honest my trip hasn't started off that well but certain people tell me this trip is a gift from God so I'm sure it'll get better. I just kind of feel lonely since I don't know that many people here and I'm not comfortable enough in korean to properly communicate with others. But we have activities planned and I'll see some friends so yeah.
I went to an english service today at a massive church (whose yearly budget is 12 million dollars, the minister boasted) and it was ok, very korean. The minister emphasized competition and following the simple rule that God will provide all your needs if you generously give to others and Him. The budget boasting came from him comparing his church and others and saying that because they give more than other churches, they have grown more. It's true in a sense and it's indeed very Christ-like to give but the competitive tilt to his message irked me a little. But maybe I just need to give more and that's why it irks me. It's just such a type A personality way of seeing the Gospel. And then I wonder why I'm not like that. I have a feeling maybe I was but then I just gave up trying to be the best at whatever. I guess I wish I had more ambition or willpower or competitiveness like my fellow koreans but instead I'm the opposite and completely broken but that's the way God wants me perhaps...
I went through another episode yesterday and an interesting question came to mind, does God think about me all the time? If not, how often? Somehow it's hard for me to believe He does, or if anyone does really. Bleh, I sound so whiny.
On a non-whiny note it turns out Clazziquai (a decent korean dance/trip-hopish group) is having a concert and my brother loves them so we're going. It'll be neat to be at a big concert here in korea. I've only been to a medium sized punk show here many years ago. Of course, I would prefer to see a metal show but the closest thing is NIN and Limp Bizkit (I'm surprised they're still around!) and I've seen both already and it just passed anyway. Maybe there's some small local metal shows going on around hongdae area...

No comments:

Post a Comment