Monday, August 10, 2009

back from New Brunswick, off to Korea

I just spent about a week in NB to visit family and it was good. I was happy to see my grandparents and for the first time we had a family church service in my aunt's house where my grandpa preached about the basics of Christianity. It was quite touching at the end because he explained why he was preaching: he knows he is near the end of his life and will go to heaven but his heart would be broken if he didn't meet all of us there eventually. It was a plea to make sure we would all accept Christ's gift and be reunited in heaven.
The basics I found most useful for myself are the 5 reasons Christ came to earth:
1. To save us from sin
2. To represent God in the flesh/show God to us
3. To experience for himself human suffering and how miserable it can be
4. To be the example of how we should live out our lives
5. To spread the Good News

And God's nature:
-Omnipotent
-Omniscient
-Omnipresent
-Eternal
-Immutable
-Absolute love, goodness, holiness

These were good reminders for myself but he did it mainly for those few relatives who have strayed from faith. This lack of faith has resulted in my 10 year old cousin having no knowledge of what church is for or what being Christian means so I ended up explaining to her as simply as possible everything! Then at church, she randomly took my journal and wrote her first prayer to God and it's so cute I'll cherish it forever! I hope she doesn't mind if I post it here:

Thank you for a good Earth and a brain. And food, books and a whole lot of things.
Good Bye!
P.S Nice talking to you

I pray that she would have more Christian people in her life who can guide her and help her accept Christ's free gift. Same thing for her mother too who seems to be disillusioned by the Catholic church and has turned to New Age concepts instead.

Now I'm preparing to go to Korea for a month starting in 3 days! Geez, so much traveling this summer... Anyways I hope I can learn more about the country and culture and society without being judgmental as I usually am. Frankly I find Korean people in Korea are nosy, rude, extremely conformist, close-minded, prejudiced against the 'other', vain, superficial and overly ambitious/competitive towards fellow Koreans and I hate it all so much. But I realize I am being closed-minded and stereotyping them myself plus my mom loved being there so much so obviously I've been missing something everytime I visit. So my mission is to find good things about Korea and it's people and be more at peace with my ancestral origins. And hang out with friends and go shopping. I'll keep posting from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment