Sunday, August 23, 2009

korea cont'd 2

I visited the Hongdae area in Seoul and hoped to see a local metal show or at least some sort of hard rock but I was disappointed. I only got to see some mediocre pop-punk bands and I couldn't even stay for half an hour because they pumped up the volume so much anyway. It was worse than a stadium concert even though the venue was tiny! It was so bad that even for such a short exposure time to the noise, I still have ringing in my ears a day later. I learned my lesson: either just leave or use earplugs because it's just not worth it to lose my hearing.
After that I had a wonderful experience drinking with my cousin and her best friend. Somehow I always end up talking about God when I drink. I think it's because the people I talk with are more open to different subjects of conversation when tipsy so it's easier for me to talk about what I care about most (of course not if they're drunk). It's like some bizarre form of ministry! Anyhow, they both told me about how they had their hearts broken by guys they really loved and in desperation turned to the Lord and learned so much about themselves and having an identity in Christ, not in Disneyfied relationships. Wow what great news! Now they go to church every week and really love to listen to the sermons! It was wonderful to celebrate their newfound faith and to encourage them with some lessons I've learned. No matter how hard or dark life gets, God will bring renewal! Obviously, I was encouraged myself as well. I was also amazed at how humble they became. It's such a change from how they were self-confident, 'perfect' members of society who thought they could get whatever they wanted. Talking to them made me realize that my decision to give priority to God over human relationships was indeed the right choice and that I really am slowly reaping the spiritual benefits. I felt the Holy Spirit being able to use me in my words and give me godly love for them, if just for a moment. I wonder if it's a glimpse of what's to come, after this dark period of my life finally ends. Having that conversation has made it worth it for me to be out here on this trip. Praise God!

2 comments:

  1. alright darling.. i have to request a change on your blog.. reading really white writting on a black page is really really really straining for the eyes.. and i know you love the black.. but try to read an entire post.. and then look away.. you'll know what i mean.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. it doesn't really bother me but still, it's a good point. Ill see what I can do... I'm terrible with HTML! hopefully blogger dumbs it down for me enough

    ReplyDelete