Thursday, March 22, 2012

how DBT and stabilization therapy went

I noticed that I talked about starting these two therapy groups but I never followed up on them here. DBT was from September to December and stabilization therapy (which was led by my psychologist) was from December? to February. DBT should be taught in all schools in simplified form to grade schoolers. It is about how to manage your thoughts and feelings and interact with people in a way that makes life easier for everyone. It's very practical. The main thing they kept repeating was to distract, soothe yourself and be mindful any time something triggered intensely negative emotions. The key is to let yourself calm down with a neutral, distracting activity, then soothe yourself like taking a hot bath and keep your mind in the present, not ruminating on the past or worrying about the future. If you can actually master that in practice, then you have solved one of the main sources of suffering for people with BPD or intense emotions. Then they also cover how to interact with people without getting into conflicts or too much tension. So it's amazing wisdom, but hard to put into practice. But they say practice makes perfect, so I'm going to rewrite my notes and try to use them.
Then I did stabilization therapy where you simply think about what your goals are in life and they talk about ways to get there. They also talk about how to understand what your emotions are telling you and advise you on whatever life situations you are in. It wasn't as helpful as DBT but still good. I figured out I want to go into psychology there I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment