Thursday, February 19, 2009

Meshuggah concert review

Soooo awesome to be concise!
The sound was almost perfect, they played the best songs from their albums and more (including the first one from Obzen) and the singer makes the funniest angry faces! But boy was it tricky sometimes to headbang to their songs. Do I follow the drummer's high hat or the guitars that are consistently off-beat? Anyways, it was thoroughly enjoyable to be sonically pummeled with super-tight distorted ryhthms. The screaming was also album quality and really added to the sound.
It was sold out, there was crazy moshing and crowd surfing (one guy went right over my head!) and they were filming it which means they must love Montreal.
The first opening band was surprisingly awesome as well and I bought their CD afterwards. They're called The Faceless and they're like a more progressive version of Bloodbath with a little black metal mixed in for good measure. The vocalist was really good too. He had a great range of gutteral growling to higher screaming (but not screechy). The lead guitar parts were pretty crazy, good use of sweeping and tapping techniques. I wanna play like him!

And to top off my night, my buddy spotted a poster on Club Soda saying Alestorm is coming in March, just when I started to really like them! They play cheesy pirate metal but it's so catchy it makes me smile every time I hear their songs, like Captain Morgan's Revenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment