Saturday, February 7, 2009

on metal and Christianity

I've been thinking for a while now how it works to be Christian and a fan of metal, ie. Christian metalhead, especially death and black metal amongst many other types. Alot of this kind of music have very negative lyrics including extreme violence and satanism. Do these lyrics affect me and am I giving my money to real satanists? It is also worrisome that my choice in music often reflects how I am emotionally.
There is definitely alot of Christian metal out there so I tried out Demon Hunter and Extol, but the former sounds like metalcore which I find boring and Extol was decent but sounded like a not as good version of Opeth. Hopefully I'll find more out there that I will really like.

I don't think the lyrics of black/death metal bands affect me much because of the simple practical fact that it's hard to make out what the singer is saying anyway! But after many listenings I have found I got used to Dimmu Borgir's singer and could eventually understand what he's saying. So, I listen to them a bit less but I find their riffs and melodies so good I don't think I'll ever totally stop. I decided to draw the line at concerts, they came here not so long ago and I decided not to go. The atmosphere was probably not suitable for a Christian.

But I think my biggest reason for continuing to listen to death/black metal (other than the growling, riffs, interesting chord progressions, solos and double-bass drums) is because of human nature. It is rare and difficult for most people to ascribe to ideals (whether Christian or not) seriously, and not just when it is convenient or popular to do so. Most of these bands use dark subject matter as theatrical entertainment and to get attention and sometimes to even poke fun at themselves. Even Dimmu Borgir doesn't mind that on Metalocalypse there's a fast food chain called Dimmu Burger. Their singer even made a voice appearance in the show (I think). And I personally love the over-the-top, cheesy posturing they do. Even the wonderful death growling is powerful but also cookie-monster-like at the same time!

Also, I prefer to hear about people struggling or thinking about the concept of God rather than totally ignoring the idea and singing about 'love', lust and money.

As for the link between the music I listen to and my emotional health, I think my choice in music simply is unconsciously affected by my emotions and not the other way around. But what we choose to focus on is important, afterall Jesus has told us to turn our eyes on him. So, I've got to sing and play more praise songs, like my favorite: Be Thou My Vision. It'll be a struggle since I just don't feel like it these days but I've got to. I'll do it right now!



Dimmu Borgir strutting their silly awesome stuff

2 comments:

  1. HI, Never seen such a funny photo! But, I do know there are a lot of heavy metal chritian bands out there. ( I personally don't like metal, but understand that everyone has their own taste.) I read some of you other recent posts and I can see that you are really struggling to find a place that suits you in your walk with Christ and that obviously many people cannot understand how you feel. One thing I would recommend to you is to pick up your bible and randomly read a verse here and there especially when you are feeling stressed. All the counselors in the world cannot solve problems or even explain your issues to you. It really will come from God himself through reading his word and truly seeking the answers. ( It can be tough to do the work, but it really is worth it.) And it is important to remember that growing in Christ starts from the inside not with your appearance. (Tell this to your counselor when they try to put you in a mold.)When God is moving in your life you will know on your own what he wants you to change and what he wants you to keep. Christians come in all forms. Some just happen to like louder-than-usual musack. :+) Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey!!...just stumbled on your blog and am quite pleased to find another christian metalhead...i understand every thing you said on this blog..ive been through it..its not easy...the only thing that gives me peace is that Jesus does not care if i listen to metal or dave matthews...he longs for us giving our time to Him...he loves us and longs to spend time with his blood bought children...i myself drifted away from God and got into all kinds of stuff and ignored the more spiritual stuff...but when i wanted to come back to God, he welcomed me with open arms :)
    never let the enemy succeed in making you feel like you have gone too far now or that God will never forgive you now...
    Meditate on the word...and all will be just fine!
    and yeh, MESHUGGAH RULES!!!!!...
    also check out as i lay dying!..they are christian and pretty neat...but i see you dont like metalcore so...nevermind :)
    check out my blog too!! :)...you know what...dont, its boring :(

    ReplyDelete