Wednesday, February 2, 2011

cold/asthma/indoor air pollution...

I've actually done pretty good this winter time in terms of colds. Last time I got sick was in September. And now I am sick from this past Saturday and of course my period starts at the exact same time and my asthma got triggered again. At one point I was afraid I would have to go to the ER again because my inhaler was starting to lose its efficacy. But thanks be to God, it's gotten better now. At one point, my dad dropped by in my room to see how I was and then went on one of his scientific rants (hazard of having a PhD in nuclear physics and mathematics) and declared that the rising rates of asthma in children is largely due to indoor air pollution. I mentioned some articles I had read in the newspaper about kids immune systems being crappier because of environments that are too clean, so what about that? That may also be true but his argument sounded logical and alarming. We've got too much stuff in our houses, workplaces and schools and we don't know what they're all made of. Plus they trap all kinds of dust and microbes etc. He said everything gives off tiny amounts of molecules into the air all the time and in the case of something like poisonous heavy metals, only tiny amounts accumulated over time in our bodies can start to affect us. Yikes. I always found my plush Spongebob looked a little creepy in the dark but now he may truly be acting sinisterly since I don't know what he's made of either. And what about all the other children's toys made so cheaply out there? Eeep. Gotta have less stuff. And crack open windows whenever possible.
P.S my dad's rants make it impossible to watch Mythbusters with him. He always announces how obvious that the myth is true/not/sometimes. He doesn't see the point behind it. It's funny and frustrating at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment