Friday, February 11, 2011

creative arts Christian small group

After many weeks of too much fear and anxiety to go, I finally decided I would go to the creative arts small group at my church. And it was wonderful. The couple who runs it were super nice and there was a large range of artistically inclined people in the group. Some have never done anything creative but wanted to try something new and then there were people like me who studied fine arts or photography etc. and everyone in between. One woman showed us her artwork which always had Christian themes and brought us watercolours to try. Though I wasn't a fan of how literal the art followed the themes it was refreshing to see Christianity and art come together kind of like the old days. These days I feel alot of Christians, especially conservative ones, are a little afraid of the arts since the goal is usually to defy the rules, make something different from what already exists. And in this sense, many artists are anti-religious since that's all about following rules and no change. But I think it's wonderful to take seemingly opposite things and smash them together. Like Christian metal! But I haven't seen much compelling Christian visual arts in a post-modern context. I would love to see Christian spirituality (not religion aka. legalism) expressed in a contemporary manner that could also be in a gallery or museum. Besides, themes on the purpose of life, human destiny, human nature and yearnings of the soul can be found in all kinds of secular contemporary artworks. I really want to contribute a subtle Christian twist to all of that. One day. When making artwork doesn't bring so much pressure to my psyche anymore.
Anyways, I'm hoping to become a regular at the group. We'll start doing paintings tomorrow so we'll see how that goes. For now, here's the watercolour I did. I'm pretty satisfied with it. A simple semi-abstract landscape; my favorite to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment