Tuesday, February 8, 2011

a spiritual revelation

This happened to me back in December but I never got to write it down. I just came out of rehab for my first weekend at home (then I had to go back) and it was also Christmas Eve. One of the biggest skills they want you to remember and use is mindfulness. It just means staying in the present moment, not ruminating on the past or worrying about the future. Just being at peace in the present since nothing is threatening your well-being right in the moment. Basically, it's living while fully aware of the present. Getting high or drunk or stressing out like crazy are all opposites of being mindful. So, it was my first weekend home from rehab and I was stressing. Mainly because my family did no shopping whatsoever so I had to run around before stores closed and because I didn't have my usual crutch to deal with the stress. But I remembered I had a bit of a joint left in my desk and so I caved and smoked it. And then God spoke to me. I felt a spiritual connection open up (I'm sure partly because I was high) and God said to me, "Do you know the most important reason why you should be mindful of the present? It is because every moment of your life is a gift from Me. So, every time you try to run away from it with drugs or become troubled by the past or future, you are not appreciating my gift." It was a eureka moment. Aha! That's the true spiritual reason why one shouldn't be out of it all the time, aside from it just being bad for you overall. I'm so glad to know this, but alas, it doesn't make the cravings any less. But anyway, I hope this is a foundation I can build on.

No comments:

Post a Comment